On a regular basis we hear news stories about computer information and data being compromised by outside forces. Criminals try to obtain personal financial information such as: name, address, social security number, date of birth and account number. Using this information criminals can make purchases, get credit in your name and access your financial accounts.
- Introduction to Computer Security
- What is Computer Security?
- Tips for Staying Safe Online
- Computer Security
With criminals attempting to gain access to your information, you may be asking what can you do to prevent being a victim? The best way to protect yourself is to protect your computer!
Preventing illegal access to your personal financial information begins with you protecting your information. It means making sure your personal computer or laptop is up to date on security programs. It also means using strong passwords that include letters, numbers, and characters, which can not be easily hacked. Also, in dealing with emails and websites, don’t be fooled by responding to requests for information from sources. In many cases responding to these emails can lead to fraudulent websites or sites which can infect your computer with viruses or malware.
To protect yourself and your computer from fraudulent behavior the best defense is education and common sense. Be alert to efforts by criminals to access your information and always use your best judgment. To help you learn more about common scams and attempts to gain access to information we have included a number of helpful resources. We hope this helps you stay safe online.
- Online Security and Safety
- Online Security Information
- Internet Risks
- Online Safety and Security Tips
- Guide to Internet Security
- Strong Passwords
- Guidelines for Strong Passwords
- How to Create Strong Passwords
- Password Security Information
- Common Risks to Data
- Viruses, Malware and Other Dangers
- All About Viruses
- How to Avoid Malware
- What is Online Fraud?
- Online Scam Information
- Internet Scams and Hoaxes
- Computer and Internet Fraud
- Computer Security Resource Center
- General Security Resources
- Computer and Security Resources
- Online Security Tips
- National Cyber Security Resources